When it comes to the description of a good house, comfort tops the list above all. Whether it be the locality, the services, the furniture, or the bathroom. We all want a home that feels comfortable and safe at all times. Even though the bathroom is a place used probably more than any other in the house, apart from the kitchen, the comfort components usually get ignored in the former. The bathroom is often overlooked when it comes to the comfort factor. One of the most common mistakes among bathroom essentials happens while determining the standard shower head height. Showers are an inevitable and essential part of the bathroom. One of the most important factors about it is the height it’s placed at, yet many people suffer due to the same. So the next time you are remodeling your bathroom, make sure to pay heed to the discomfort your get because of the showerhead in your bathroom being placed at the wrong height.
If you are renovating your house or if you are facing discomfort due to your shower being at the wrong height, you may need some help on this issue. Even though the “one size fits all” theory does not work in the case of showers, you cannot put various showers at different heights just for the sake of it. That is why it is important to consider the important factors while determining the standard shower head height for your bathroom.
Not only do you need to cater to your own needs but also consider your family’s needs when it comes to renovating the house especially the bathroom. It needs to be convenient for everyone to use the bathroom. That is why installing the shower at a height that leaves enough space for the user of any height or build to take a shower comfortably. Installing a showerhead at a proper height also ensures that the chances of any injury or discomfort while bathing is minimized to their best.
Standard Shower Head Height
Even though there is a specified standard height for different types of showerheads, it is very important to adjust it according to your and your family’s convenience and comfort.
The standard showerhead heigh is said to be 80 inches for people with average or tall height. However, there are certain modifications you can make to adjust the shower head height as per your comfort and liking. There is not a rule which you have to obey when it comes to the showerhead height that caters to your needs perfectly.
When it comes to finding the ideal height to place the showerhead at, you font need to follow a certain protocol. All you need to do is find what works best for you and plan it according to your comfort.
You must also take advice from your trusted plumber to ensure that you won’t face any leaking or sewage-related issues because of where you place the showerhead in your bathroom. It is important to consider factors like these before you get the remodeling done.
Spacing The Shower Area
Along with the height of the showerhead, the shower space also needs to be picked out carefully. There are various things and situations that must be considered before installing a showerhead. Everything from having enough space for washing your hair to putting on clothes comfortably depends on the space around your shower area. Make sure that the place where you decide to install the shower is spacious enough for each person in the home. If you want to know more about how to wash throw pillows?
Following are some crucial factors to consider while placing the showerhead in your bathroom:
- Distance From The Bathtub- if you have a bathtub, you need to make sure that the showerhead is placed at a point that is distant enough from the bathtub to give you ample space to shower comfortably. A minimum distance of 35-40 inches between the bathtub and the shower area is advisable to give you sufficient space to shower and put on clothes.
- Bathing a Small Child- In the case of a small baby, there must be extra shower space than for the grown-ups. This is because the baby surely requires assistance to shower and there needs to be extra space for the parents or the caregiver to ensure the comfort and safety of both. A handheld showerhead is the best choice when it comes to bathing small children.
- Guest Bathroom- The standard shower head height in the guest bathroom cannot be according to your own comfort. It needs to be made sure that you keep ample space from the ground to the shower as well as around the shower space so that the user is comfortable, irrespective of their height. You cannot put the showerhead at an average height in a guest bathroom. It is essential to put the showerhead at least 3 to 5 inches higher than the standard shower head height to avoid causing any discomfort to the guests.
Placing The Faucet Controls
The faucet controls must be placed in an area from where they are easily accessible to the user. They must not be placed too far from the shower area. The height at which the faucets are placed must be neutral and not too high or low. As the faucets have control of everything from the water temperature to the water pressure, it is essential to place it at an easily accessible place to ensure the convenience of the user. Factors like the shower space and the specified height of the particular showerhead must be taken into consideration before determining the place of the faucet controls.
The placing of faucet controls is as important as placing the showerhead. It is crucial to pay attention to the needs of everyone who is going to use the said bathroom. In the case of an average 72 to 80 inches high shower head, the faucets must be placed around 40 to 80 inches above the floor. This will give the user easy access to the shower controls.
Types Of Showerheads
The standard height of showerheads often varies from one type to another. It is essential to know about the type of your showerhead before installing it to avoid any plumbing issue or discomfort while bathing. listed below are the most common types of showerheads and their respective standard heights:
- Handheld Showerheads: These types of showerheads are the ones that have a 3-5 inch long hose attached to control the position of the shower as well as other temperature and water pressure settings. A handheld shower can be fixed with a hose or it can be an adjustable type. In the case of the former, it would be ideal to put it at the standard shower head height which is 80 inches from the ground. If you have a handheld shower with an adjustable bar, then you can put it at any height you find comfortable as it can be adjusted according to the respective user’s height.
- Rain Showerheads: These kinds of showerheads are the easiest to deal with when it comes to determining the height they must be placed at. Rain showerheads provide ample space and comfort. The advisable height to put a rain showerhead at is 85 to 90 inches, however, you can put it even on the ceiling (which is its typical place) after checking the piping connections in your bathroom.
- Wall Mounted Showerheads: These are the most common types of showerheads. Wall-mounted shower heads are ideal for the average height of people. The standard shower head height for them is 80 to 84 inches from the ground. To determine the perfect height of this showerhead in your bathroom, make the tallest person in your house stand on a 3 to 4 inches high platform and then mark the height to install the showerhead.
Installation of Showerheads
It is very important to have your plumber check the sewage systems in your bathroom as well as in the house to make sure that you don’t face any sewage issues after installing any type of showerhead or faucets. Even if you might feel a little creative and try to remodel your bathroom, it is not ideal to use your creativity to do the job of a plumber.
Unless you are a professional yourself, try to consult a plumber before trying to remodel your bathroom or starting to do any other modification yourself. A lot of things need to be considered before making any changes in the bathroom as it can cause a major sewage issue not just at your place but to the attached sewage systems as well.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can a shower head be placed too high?
The precise answer to this question is yes. A shower head can be placed too high depending upon the height of the user. Other factors affect the height of the shower as mentioned above, but the height of the user is the most important one. A shower head that is placed higher than the average heigh of all the people can be considered as too high. It can not only cause discomfort while bathing, but also puts the user at risk of injury due to falling.
How to determine the standard shower head height for my bathroom?
If you are the only person using the bathroom, just stand on a 3 to 4 inches high platform and mark that point on which you will install your shower. In the case of a whole family, take the measurements using the same process with the tallest person in your home. This will ensure the safety and comfort of all the users.
What is the maximum height for a rain shower head?
A rain showerhead is very versatile in terms of its standard height. To be specific to this question, a rain shower head does not have a maximum height for installation. You can put it as high as the ceiling of your bathroom. This type of shower head is meant to give you the experience of showering in the rain, so it is ideal to put it on the ceiling for the said effect.
Which type of shower head is best?
The type of shower you install in your bathroom depends upon your preferences, the sewage system in your bathroom, and the availability of space in your bathroom. For example, ceiling rain showerheads can only be installed in bathrooms with a specific sewage system that also runs through the ceiling.
Now that you have the knowledge of different types of showerheads and their respective standard shower head heights, it must be an easy task to pinpoint the place in your bathroom where you want to install the showerhead of your choice. All it takes is proper management and consideration of everyone’s comfort and convenience to remodel your bathroom in a way that suits everyone in the family.