When most people think about table runners they immediately imagine tablecloths. They are often seen as synonymous because table runners are usually heavily embroidered or feature a similar design to table cloths, they cover the table completely and often go all the way to the floor. While they can be used interchangeably for many occasions, table runners have a few unique attributes that table cloths do not.
Table runners are best used as an accent to your table. If you want to create drama, impact or draw attention to the table setting table runners is the way to go.
Table Décor Ideas:
- Add height & texture to your table setting by using multiple table runners of different heights. Not only will this make the table look more interesting but it will also help visually break up all of the flat space on long banquet table.
- To make table look more formal, use table runners on the table behind your table setting. This way your table setting will be emphasized even more. If you are using mismatched chairs an elegant looking table runner will help bring together all of the different styles seats into one cohesive feel.
- Use a beautiful table runner underneath your clear dessert display. The table will look finished and beautiful when it is time for guests to find their desserts.
Tip: Make sure that your table runner completely covers the surface of the table that they are covering (even if it means there isn’t enough room to pull place settings or anything else besides the table decoration). This helps ensure that guests know exactly where to place their plates and glasses without worrying about them accidentally bumping a table decoration or table liner.
Remember, table runners are meant to be seen but table cloths are meant to be used! It’s important to think of table runners as table decorations rather than table covers when you are planning out your table decorating scheme. You can use fabric that coordinates with your tablecloth or use scrapbook paper that coordinates with the theme of your event.
If you want to create visual interest at your next party try using different heights and textures throughout the table setting; remember that every element on the table should coordinate and yet bring something new and interesting so there is no overcrowded feeling at all.
What Types Of Fabric Would Look Good?
- There are fabrics available in many colors and patterns that you can use to make table runners. At TableclothsFactory.com we offer table runners in a wide variety of styles and sizes; they are all made from high-quality materials with your table setting needs in mind.
- Many table runner fabrics available through TableclothsFactory.com such as satin, silk and damask table runners come is many colors and we also have an extensive selection of prints that coordinate with our table cloth fabric collection including solids and stripes. We even carry tablecloth fabric that is made up entirely out of polka dots, plaids and gingham prints!
- The most important thing is to look at the space where the table runner will be used and think about how it will feel when guests are seated at table. If you want to create a formal table setting choose table runner fabric that is made out of a solid color and one with a shiny or elegant looking finish in order to add extra formality to the table. If you are going for a casual look make sure the table runner fabric reflects your style- mix and match patterns, solids, stripes, polka dots and plaids to create your own unique table runner design.
- If you are on a tight budget create your own table runner by getting together scrapbook paper that coordinates with the overall theme of your event. You can then staple or glue the paper down onto some inexpensive muslin fabric (this type of cloth will not fray) using an X – across method so it will look like tablecloth fabric even though you only used the scrapbook paper!
Table runners add a lot of table setting interest and can be used in many different ways when you are planning table decor for your next party. They can be used as table toppers or table covers and can really help you take your table decor from ordinary to extraordinary!