Mobile homes use light materials that can be severely affected by water intrusion. The floors are steel frames and plywood covered with vinyl or carpet, while the walls are panels or drywalls. As a result, mobile homes are often victims of water damage and uncontrollable mold attacks. The setup is ideal for molds to reproduce since mobile homes provide the two things they need to survive: moisture and organic food.
This article will tackle more about mold removal and its causes and effects so you can protect your mobile home from further damage.
What Are the Causes of Mold in Mobile Homes?
The structure of a mobile home is ideal for mold growth. The following are some of the situations that cause excessive mold growth:
- Condensation. Most mobile homes use water heaters and propane stoves which produce hydrogen as a by-product of an open flame’s combustion. The hydrogen produced will combine with oxygen in the air to produce water vapor and condensation. The high level of humidity encourages the growth of molds. So, proper ventilation and circulation of air by using exhaust fans can help lessen the humidity inside the mobile home.
- Lack of proper insulation. Mobile homes are not heavily insulated. So when it’s hot outside, you usually turn the AC on to keep the home’s interior cool. Unfortunately, while this way of regulating the temperature is convenient, it actually promotes the growth of molds due to the increased air humidity.
- Roof leaks. The roof is your mobile home’s first line of defense against bad weather, sun heat, water intrusion, and mold growth. Regularly check your roof’s coatings to prevent water penetration, and fix cracks caused by falling twigs and debris right away.
- General water leaks. Minor issues and water intrusion can lead to major problems. So make it a habit to check any water source inside your mobile home, such as faucets, showers, and toilets, and ensure that everything is working fine.
What Are the Effects of Mold Exposure on You?
Molds do not just damage your properties, but they can also affect your health. Watch out for these symptoms:
- Skin rash. Touching molds and breathing in mold spores and fumes can irritate your skin and trigger skin rash.
- Eye irritation. The presence of mold spores in the air can make your eye itchy, watery, and red.
- Headaches. People who are sensitive to spores and molds can experience headaches.
- Listlessness. You might feel overly tired every day even if you are sleeping and eating well. This is because of your exposure to mold spores.
- Sore throat. Prolonged exposure to molds can irritate your membranes, leading to difficulty swallowing and hoarseness.
How Can You Get Rid of Molds?
There are a lot of DIY home remedies you can try, like baking soda and water solutions. But in most cases, you are better off seeking the help of professionals since they are equipped with the proper training and skills to remove molds and save your home successfully.