Since the early 1990s, the knockdown texture has reigned over the place of its sibling textures: popcorn and orange peel. Homeowners and designers still prefer it because it is appealing and suits anything. It also doesn’t require much maintenance and even covers wall imperfections.
Any drywall can have this look with just a few affordable options, like seeking a professional who can spray knockdown finish st Louis. If you need an idea about knockdown texture and how to achieve three popular versions of this coating, then keep reading.
The Look of A Knock Down Texture
Knockdown’s rough, flattened textures are reminiscent of stuccos and skip trowels. It has a casual elegance that complements various decor styles, which the best include:
- Shabby Chic
It uses joint drywall compound to make peaks on the wall or ceiling that look like stalactites, and a knife is used to cut off mounts. The result is a convincing mottled texture that looks like it has depth. This treatment also cuts down on background noise, which is a plus.
Where and Why Use Knock Down Texture?
Spray knockdown finish st louis textures are popularly used on walls and ceilings. But did you know there are many ways to use textures? It’s not just about making things look appealing; it can make any concrete surface more functional and less slippery, like Dallas concrete patio, pool decks and driveways.
We all know pool decks can have several issues, including cracks, the high temperature they reach in direct sunlight, and being slippery when wet. With a knockdown finish, the functionality improves without hurting the property’s curb appeal, the safety of swimmers, or its overall value.
Triple-S of Knockdown Texture
Knockdown texture has three popular types: splatter, skip trowel, and stomp. Each one looks different and needs a different set of tools and methods.
Splatter is the most popular knockdown texture, and it has a pattern of spots that looks like a lace veil. To achieve this, you have to:
- First, set up your equipment: drywall hopper gun, drywall mixture, knife, and body protection since spraying can be messy due to splashbacks.
- Second, pray the surface with a drywall hopper gun filled with wet drywall mud.
- Third, flatten the peaks with an 18-inch or wider knockdown knife to make a 40% raised texture while the other 60% remains flat.
Since a drywall hopper gun is needed, this method takes longer to set up than stomping and mud troweling. Still, it is faster, more uniform, and less tiring. Small surfaces can be splattered in an hour, while larger ones take a day.
A “skip trowel” is also called a “mud trowel.” This method gives a more refined and subtle finish than splatter or stomp. You can get this look by:
- First, apply drywall mud using a drywall trowel with a curved blade.
- Second, skim-coat the area with a clean trowel.
The curved trowel is used to “skip” the mud across the wall or ceiling to create a sparse texture of round, quarter-sized globules. Hand troweling is less common than splatter because it takes more time and work.
Stomp stands out the most because it is higher off the ground than either splatter or mud trowel.
- First, add water to pre-mixed drywall mud.
- Second, roll it on a wall or ceiling with a paint roller.
- Third, flatten the mud with a standard knockdown knife and stomp with a stiff-bristled crows-foot brush. (Leaving at least 60% of the surface with a finger-like texture.)
Because the drywall has to be spread out with a roller before it can be stomped on, the process can take up twice as long as the splatter.
Start To Finish It Off
Adding textures won’t hurt whether your goal is to improve the appearance or functionality of your home. Remember that it is very versatile and adds character to your space.
It may not be something you first notice. Still, it can be a conversation starter once someone discovers how it appeals to everything. That’s why you need to ensure the best view and experience for everyone. It will help if you reach out to resurfacing contractors in St Louis.