What Is a Whole House Water Filtration System and How Does It Work?
The water coming out of your faucet may not be as clean as you think. According to the U.S. EPA, more than 90 contaminants may be found in this drinking water.
Contaminants like lead, chlorine, and fluoride may be present and over time, these contaminants can build up in your body and cause health problems. A complete house water filtration system can help remove these pollutants, giving you and your family clean, safe water to drink, cook with, and bathe in.
So, what is a water filtration system exactly and how does it work? Read on to find out.
What Is a Whole House Water Filtration System?
This is a filtration system that is installed at the main supply line for your home, and it works to remove contaminants from the water that comes into your home. This means that every time you turn on the faucet or take a shower, what comes out is water that is clean and free of harmful contaminants.
What Does A Water Filtration System Do?
The whole house systems are designed to do exactly what they say they do—remove contaminants at the point of entry, leaving you with clean water for your everyday use.
But do whole house water filters work effectively? Yes, they do.
These devices can eliminate hardness, take away the smell and taste of chlorine, and even remove sediments like silt, sand, and other particles. In fact, no matter how problematic your drinking source is, you can be sure there is a whole-house filtration system to provide a solution.
Different Types of Whole House Water Filters
There are a number of different types of whole-house filtration devices available on the market today. Here is a look at some of the different options that are available:
Sediment filters are the most basic type. They are designed to remove physical contaminants like dirt, sand, and rust from your water.
Activated Carbon Filters
Activated carbon filters are another common option. They are designed to remove chlorine, chemicals, and dissolved contaminants from your drinking source. They also help to improve its taste and smell.
Acid Neutralizers (Calcite Filters)
Acid neutralizers are designed to neutralize the acidity in your water supply.
Reverse Osmosis Systems
Reverse osmosis systems are designed to prevent all impurities from passing into your faucet. These systems typically use a series of filters to remove impurities, including a sediment filter, a carbon filter, and a reverse osmosis membrane.
UV filters use ultraviolet light to kill living organisms, such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites. UV filters are available in a variety of sizes and styles and can be used with a wide variety of filter systems.
How Does Each Type of Whole-House Water Filter Work?
To further help narrow down your choices, it is helpful to understand how these whole house water filter types work.
- Sediment filters work through a process of mechanical filtration. They are made up of a porous material that traps all particles and sediments in the pores, preventing them from getting into your faucet.
- Carbon filters work with a process known as adsorption. This involves using porous carbon to adsorb impurities such as chlorine and organic compounds, leaving only clean water.
- Acid neutralizers work by raising the pH of acidic water using a neutralizing substance such as limestone or calcite.
- RO systems remove dissolved particles and contaminants from water by pushing it through a semipermeable membrane under high pressure, allowing only the clean portion to pass through.
- UV radiation in ultraviolet purification systems causes DNA damage in living organisms such as bacteria and viruses, preventing them from reproducing and spreading illnesses.
Hopefully, this section has answered the question: how does a whole house water filter work? You can now choose the ideal one for your needs.
Whole house filtration systems are an important investment for any homeowner. Buying one is one of the best ways to ensure that the water your family is drinking is clean and free of contaminants.
Interested in getting one for your home?
Filterway has a great selection of filtration systems to choose from, so find the perfect one for your home today.
Leave a Reply