The exterior house colors speak of your personality, preferences, lifestyle, and most importantly, the period when your house was built. One of the trickiest tasks is to choose colors for your homes. Selecting the right colors is vital as it affects the ambiance as well as the value of the house.
To let the people around you know about you and your iconic choices, make a proper selection of colors. Suppose you thoroughly research the different aspects of colors. In that case, you can play around with a few tricks to minimize the hassle, transform the space into a dreamy one and elevate the house’s exterior.
Here are countless factors, reasons, and precautions you need to consider when mixing colors, and one such factor is the durability of the color and the look. The house paints are the first visual impact on the visitor. The window dressing is important in judging the property’s value and recognition. To keep the house fresh, stylish, and presentable, renovating the colors of the exterior home with a fresh coat of paint is crucial.
If you are scrolling for different house color ideas for outer homes, you have landed on the right page, as we’ll cover most aspects of the different colors for outer homes in this article.
Factors To Consider While Choosing Exterior House Colors
Selecting exterior house colors depends on several factors, such as
- The size of the house
- Style of the house
- Whether you will live in a historic residential district or a contemporary home
- The color palette of your neighbors also impacts your preferences.
- Whether you are painting to stay in the house or to add value to get the best deal
The Best Color For House Exterior
A common question arises regarding the color palette for painting the outer part of the house- what is the best color for a house exterior? Well, there are numerous options available to choose from. However, the final choice depends on the favorite colors, neighbors’ house color, location, budget, and other similar factors.
Bright white is a clean and popular exterior house colors choice for many that can never fail to extend a warm and fresh look to the walls. Whether you own a luxurious estate or a modern small house, white will never disappoint you. You can opt for Benjamin Moore’s white color because it doesn’t feature many strong undertones and feels fresh.
To create a cool and calm ambiance to the exterior of your house, paint it with an off-white shade. As per Alside’s survey, 20% of homeowners opted for off-white shading in 2023. Cream shade exhibits versatility.
The matte white color painting on the cottage enhances the fairy-tale charm of the cottage. The gray roof complements the flat white and blends with the bright surrounding.
The sandy pink color of the exterior walls matches with terra- cotta floor and blushes with sun kiss, leaving warmth all around.
Hunter Green Color
Hunter green shade is bold and the perfect choice for nature lovers because it embraces the surrounding nature within itself.
Painting the exterior olive tone adds an element to the tranquil surrounding. It’s pleasing to the eyes and becomes the focal point of the exterior house.
Reddish brown or mahogany shade complements nature and creates a dark statement. The brown color copies the tree bark, retaining the natural look of your home for many years.
Bring the mid-century style to your home exterior with a natural decorative appeal. Brick red looks extremely attractive on the walls with dark gray roof.
Swedish Barn Red
Barn Red has captured the imaginations of people across the world because of its timeless feel that will never go outdated. The combination of absolute white trim with red siding is a classic combination.
This color adds warmth to the home exterior, especially with white trim, shutters, and fence. Chocolate brown perfectly matches like made for each other with an earthly brown brick roof.
A warm-toned black tone with a hint of tree bark color makes the outer house inviting. If your house is amidst the woody surroundings, you will feel like you are staying in a forest house.
Inky Matte Black Shade
Painting the exterior with inky matte black shade will have a strong impact and perfectly complement white trim. This shade looks splendid against the green landscape.
A timeless and understated shade, navy blue adds personality and boldness to the surroundings making you feel deep in the ocean.
A lakeside house painted blue echoes the lake. Gray roof creates a breathtaking sight for visitors.
Yellow is a mood-booster on the exterior house colors that brings sunshine in all the weather. The yellow exterior house colors make the surroundings vibrant and energetic.
A soft gray tone as the exterior house colors combines well with a gray roof for a modern look. Light gray compliments the natural lush green landscape.
Various Exterior House Colors Combinations
The color combinations for the house exterior, such as siding, trim, and front door, can be selected based on your preferred exterior home look and budget. Here are a few combinations.
Aqua, White and Black
Black color is best known for adding depth and elegance to the home exterior and looks amazing with white trim. This combination enhances the artistic feature of your exterior home, saving the dark color from appearing too depressing and sad. The aqua front door adds a brightness element.
White, Sage and Hunter Green
When matched with white trim, other colors become the focal point of the house’s exterior. Sage green brighten the external appearance of the homes, making them inviting—non-neutral tones of white, sage, and hunter-green match perfectly with each other.
White, Lime and Powder Blue
Pastel shades set a fancy tone to the exterior house colors. Muted lime green color mixes well with the natural surrounding leaving a soothing visual effect, and the powder blue shade with white border on the front doors or steps sets off the siding. To add a pleasing effect, balance the lighter shades of bright color with plenty of white trim.
Gray, White and Blue
The white and gray combination is one of the favorite and most beautiful combinations for interior and exterior house colors. Any shade of gray looks amazing with white trim or any other color. Gray is a versatile color that can accentuate the roof or soffit and the entry door.
White, Black and Blue
Blue is a distinctive and cool color that goes well on homes on tree-lined streets. White trim with a thin line accent on the roof enhances the blue exterior of homes. Highlight the sashes with white, and roof with black to elevate the look of the house.
The Exterior House Colors For Different External Part Of The House
Trim color is the main highlight of the exterior house because it draws attention to the architectural beauty of your home. Dramatic trim color enhances the beauty of windows and doors. To add a classy and elegant exterior statement, bold trim colors such as red, blue, black, or green are good options. Nothing can outpass the black trim shade if you have a white house.
The roof covers almost 40% of the house exterior, so you have to choose the roof color keeping in the exterior color palette of trim, siding, front door, and windows. Roof shade should be in contrast with other exterior house colors.
Apart from the trim and roof, the front door is also the main highlight of the home exterior. Always choose a color palette different from your neighbor’s to retain the uniqueness of your home. The bold statement color for the front door looks stylish and adds a unique element to the surrounding with its effect.
Alabaster by Sherwin Williams is the most preferred option for siding. The off-white palette looks great with any sidings such as wood, vinyl, brick, stucco, or fiber cement. Alabaster is a versatile tone that adjusts pretty well with any trim, roof, or front door color.
Color Combinations For Different House Styles
Colors For Modern-Style Homes
Glossy colors like gray and slate blue are well-suited for contemporary homes because these homes extend an aesthetic touch. Mix cool exterior colors with warmer materials like copper metals or stained wood.
House Colors For Colonial Homes
Simple and timeless color combinations best represent classic American structures for colonial homes. Select blue, brown, gray, or white to add some statement. Black or white shutters or trim add a unique and modern look. A stained wood front door with brown roof is an excellent idea for a conventional finishing touch.
Outer Colors For Cottage-Style Homes
Most cottage-style homes take inspiration from nature, creating tones that blend well with the natural surroundings. Usually, the cottage homes have a gated fence. The color palette of the fence and walls should blend properly.
House Colors For Cape Cod-Style Homes
Cape Cod-style homes are basic architectural homes not meant for flashy colors. These sturdy and budget homes look good when painted with neutral tones such as gray or white. Painting the trim with white is a better option to enhance the look.
Color Schemes For Classic Vintage Homes
Vintage homes have very intricate designs to extend a unique appearance. Usually, three or more different colors enhance the delicate design of Victorian homes, especially the brighter blue, yellow, green, or pink hues.
Color Combinations For Tudor Homes
Tudor homes have a unique feature inspired by English architecture, with most exteriors made of accented brick. The classic tone for a Tudor house is off-white stucco and brown framing.
Colors For Ranch Homes
Ranch homes are single-story houses spread over a large area. Neutral tones such as gray or brown can add aesthetic appeal to the outer paint combination. Bright colors should be avoided as they will overwhelm the outer look.
House Color For Low Country
Low country houses can be painted with flashy colors as most of the low country houses are found along the Gulf Coast. Opting for bright door color, pastel for shutter and siding perfectly enliven the surrounding.
The Most Popular Exterior House Colors For 2023
Many of you must be stuck with a question – what are the most popular exterior house colors for 2023? Selecting house colors for exterior parts is a tough task because once painted, it can only be undone after shelling out extra dollars. Choosing colors for the home exterior in 2023 demands thorough research because it’s an investment that can add value to the property and yield a return in the years to come.
You can DIY or seek professional support to choose the trending color combinations. Some brands like Sherwin Williams, Behr, and Benjamin Moore offer a range of colors for exterior parts of homes. Here are the best trending exterior house colors in 2023, which you will never regret painting your homes.
Color By Sherwin Williams
- Alabaster – It is one of the most preferred and best exterior house colors as it is timeless and trending. If your house gets lots of shade, Sherwin Williams Alabaster is the best neutral tone to light up the house. This color is so versatile that you can use it as a trim, siding, or body color. Alabaster is a classic color that goes well with dark hue roof shingles, charcoal gray front doors, or black trim shades. The best feature of Alabaster is that you don’t have to change exterior decoration like metal, stone, or brick because off-white gels well with most items and shades.
- Tricorn Black – Sherwin Williams tricorn black is another popular choice to accentuate the doors and shutters of the home’s exterior. For a modern exterior look of the house, tricorn black is people’s first choice for house body or siding, whereas, for others, it’s an easy way to add elegance when applied on the front door or trim. Tricorn black appears to be a perfect match for white. You can categorize this tone as a neutral tone and an adjusting one because it matches unconditionally with both white and gray.
- Pewter Cast Gray – It is the perfect tone for an exterior of a house that goes well with a wood accent dark blue or brown front door. This muted gray shade looks good on lap siding or a black roof.
- Peppercorn – The dark gray tone of Sherwin Williams is trending and extends a modern look to the exterior house colors, especially cedar shake siding. Sherwin Williams Peppercorns spread positivity around the exterior that attracts natural sunlight. If your front door is painted red, be ready for a stunning home exterior.
- Poolhouse SW 7603 – Sherwin Williams has simplified the process of selecting a light blue shade for an exterior house that is evergreen and modern. Poolhouse has an amazing visual impact when paired with white or off-white trim color. It has an awe-striking impact as a siding color. Natural sunlight is indispensable in the exterior home to enhance the look of the Poolhouse SW 7603 tone.
- Naval – The dark blue shade by Sherwin Williams has gray undertones. For all good reason, Naval by Sherwin Williams was the year’s color in 2020. Naval looks impressive with a deep blue or rose pink front door.
- Light Gray – Worldly or light gray can be the best option for a warm tone with a soft and earthy touch. It looks beautiful with natural sunlight due to the presence of green undertones.
- SW Iron Ore –Iron ore is a popular choice recognized as dark gray or deep charcoal tone between peppercorn and tricorn black. It is a cool color due to the presence of blue undertones. People opt for iron ore Sherwin Williams for the front door, garage door, and exterior trim. This color can accentuate the look of an old house to a contemporary one.
Color By Benjamin Moore
White Dove – This color moves towards the off-white spectrum that directs it towards the cooler category shade. It goes well with the trim and sidings and enlivens the shaded exterior.
Color By Behr
Polar Bear is one of the top-selling house colors in a breezing white tone with a hint of pink undertones. It is a popular choice for trim colors to pop the natural wooden tone and also goes well with blue siding and board for a modern look.
What Is The Most Popular Exterior House Color?
Alabaster from Sherwin Williams is one of the most popular exterior colors. The off-white color goes well with all siding types, like vinyl, wood, brick, or fiber cement. Alabaster is a versatile color that works as a trim and siding color.
What Is The Most Timeless Exterior House Color?
The most timeless color can be defined according to your taste and preferences. However, age-old colors like red, shades of blue and gray, white and green, can be considered timeless colors trending for many years.
Leave a Reply